What is Supporting People?
The Supporting People Programme funds, monitors and develops supported housing and ‘housing related support’ services for vulnerable people.
Who does Supporting People support?
- People who are homeless/potentially homeless, rough sleeping or vulnerably housed
- Ex offenders
- People with a physical disability or sensory Impairment
- Vulnerable families (single/two parent)
- People with developmental disorders e.g. Autism
- People experiencing domestic abuse
- People with drug and/or alcohol issues
- Older people and frail elderly
- Young people at risk, including care leavers
- People with chronic illness, inc. HIV and AIDs
- People with learning difficulties
- People with mental health issues
- Refugees and other minority groups
What services does Supporting People fund?
- Supported housing
- Sheltered housing with a warden or scheme manager
- Community alarm services
- Homeless hostels
- Women’s refuges
- Floating support, support provided in your own home
- Direct access and crisis intervention services
What is Housing Related Support?
Housing related support helps people to gain the knowledge and skills needed to develop and/or maintain an individual’s capacity to live independently and contribute positively to the community.
What support can be offered?
- Emotional support and advice
- Signposting to other agencies
- Drug and alcohol services
- Training and employment
- Health services
- Access community alarm services or warden/scheme manager managed accommodation
- Settle into and maintain your home
- Managing a tenancy
- Pay bills
- Maximise income
- Develop domestic and practical living skills
- Meet people, join social activities and reduce loneliness and isolation
- Move to safer or more appropriate accommodation
- Increase your personal safety and security
Is there a charge for these services?
Some services are free and some are chargeable. Your support worker or service provider will be able to tell you if there is a charge. If there is a charge you may be able to claim Supporting People Programme Grant (SPPG) subsidy. Please contact your local SP Team.
Monmouthshire Supporting People
Housing Options Team
Lower Mill Field
Telephone: 01291 635714
Caerphilly Supporting People
Telephone: (01443) 864548
Fax: (01443) 864731
Text HOUSUPPORT to 81400
Torfaen Supporting People
Torfaen Voluntary Alliance
Our office opening hours are 10.00am – 4.00pm. If you wish to contact us by telephone please call 01495 742420 or email email@example.com
Blaenau Gwent Supporting People
Supporting People Team
Social Services Directorate
Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council
Anvil Court, Church Street
Tel: (01495) 354681/354683
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Claire.email@example.com