How do I get Support

What is Supporting People?

The Supporting People Programme funds, monitors and develops supported housing and ‘housing related support’ services for vulnerable people.

Who does Supporting People support?

  • People who are homeless/potentially homeless, rough sleeping or vulnerably housed
  • Ex offenders
  • People with a physical disability or sensory Impairment
  • Vulnerable families (single/two parent)
  • People with developmental disorders e.g. Autism
  • People experiencing domestic abuse
  • People with drug and/or alcohol issues
  • Older people and frail elderly
  • Young people at risk, including care leavers
  • People with chronic illness, inc. HIV and AIDs
  • People with learning difficulties
  • People with mental health issues
  • Refugees and other minority groups

What services does Supporting People fund?

  • Supported housing
  • Sheltered housing with a warden or scheme manager
  • Community alarm services
  • Homeless hostels
  • Women’s refuges
  • Floating support, support provided in your own home
  • Direct access and crisis intervention services

What is Housing Related Support?

Housing related support helps people to gain the knowledge and skills needed to develop and/or maintain an individual’s capacity to live independently and contribute positively to the community.

What support can be offered?

  • Emotional support and advice
  • Signposting to other agencies
    • Drug and alcohol services
    • Education
    • Training and employment
    • Health services
  • Access community alarm services or warden/scheme manager managed accommodation
  • Settle into and maintain your home
    • Managing a tenancy
    • Budget
    • Pay bills
    • Maximise income
  • Develop domestic and practical living skills
  • Meet people, join social activities and reduce loneliness and isolation
  • Move to safer or more appropriate accommodation
  • Increase your personal safety and security

Is there a charge for these services?

Some services are free and some are chargeable. Your support worker or service provider will be able to tell you if there is a charge. If there is a charge you may be able to claim Supporting People Programme Grant (SPPG) subsidy. Please contact your local SP Team.

Monmouthshire Supporting People

Housing Options Team
Stephen Jones
Ty’r Efail
Lower Mill Field

Telephone: 01291 635714

Caerphilly Supporting People

Ty Penallta
Tredomen Park
Ystrad Mynach
CF82 7PG

Telephone: (01443) 864548
Fax: (01443) 864731
Text HOUSUPPORT to 81400

Torfaen Supporting People

Torfaen Voluntary Alliance
Portland Buildings
Commercial Street

Our office opening hours are 10.00am – 4.00pm. If you wish to contact us by telephone please call 01495 742420 or email

Blaenau Gwent Supporting People

Floating Support
Supporting People Team
Social Services Directorate
Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council
Anvil Court, Church Street
NP13 1DB

Tel: (01495) 354681/354683

Newport Supporting People

Supporting People Team
Newport City Council
Brynglas House
Brynglas Road
NP20 5QU

Tel: 01633 235201